I have been MIA, and I have an excuse. It IS a good one. One I would love to share- which I will. Just not at this time. I hate it when people do that, and I HATE that I am doing it you, but I promise I WILL share why I have been gone.
I’m not a typical Leo. I don’t celebrate my birthday all month long. In fact, I hardly tell people my birthday is approaching (with the exception of Starbucks because I mean..free drink people). But, on August 6th, I turned 33. Thirty three. No FREAKIN way. I still feel like it’s all pretend. I am not really an adult, and wondering when I will ever feel like a real grown up. Tell me, am I the only one who is questioning their adulthood? Please say no.
And, time is racing by. Speeding. It seems like 2008 was a month ago. That I was wishing I would just turn 21 already, and feeling the rush of handing over my ID to buy my first
legal Smirnoff Ice. But, it wasn’t, and time is going to continue to hustle.
In my flash of light 33 years, I’ve packed in a ton of life. I have had best friends. I have had those same friends betray me. I have had my heart broken, been bullied, laughed all night, had too much to drink, stood up to a bully and been bored out of my mind. In no way do I think I know it all, but here are some of the top 33 lessons I have been taught while being alive since 1986.
- Be kind. This includes to yourself. Enough said.
- Happiness comes in all shapes and sizes.
- Tomorrow, life is going to go on one way or another.
- If it doesn’t affect your life, don’t worry about it.
- You are enough. Do not let anyone make you feel differently.
- Always pack an extra pair of underwear.
- Take the trip. It’s worth it.
- No one knows what they are doing, sometimes even your doctor (trust me I know..I’m a physician recruiter.)
- Missed opportunities are THE worst. Even worse than rejection and denial.
- No one answered me from before. Do YOU feel like an adult? No worries if you don’t. I have yet to find anyone who does. And that’s just fine.
- Relationships, including friendships, change over time. You might find who you thought you could never live without 5 years ago, you would not dream of speaking to today. That doesn’t discount how much you needed them at the time.
- Your health is one of the most valuable possessions. Make sure it’s a top priority. Mental health included.
- Your time is the other. Be wise with who is lucky enough to receive some of it.
- Learn to cook. Take out is great, but not for the 29th night in a row.
- Glitter makes everything better
- You were taught manners for a reason. Use them.
- Respect everyone from the CEO to the janitor.
- Not everyone has the same opinion as you. If they don’t quit trying to change theirs to yours by shoving yours down their throat. It’s not a good look.
- It’s okay to quit.
- When someone shows you who they are believe them. My mom tells them this all the time. It’s true. You should.
- Stand up for yourself because most likely, no one else will.
- It’s okay to fight or argue with someone. It means you still care. If you didn’t, you would not care to fight.
- Becoming a parent is one of the most monumental changes you will experience. Be sure to choose a partner who will be by your side every step of the way. Including the toughest days that warrant a bedtime countdown in the last couple of hours.
- Worrying accomplishes nothing. It might be inevitable (I have anxiety – I know!), but it’s best to think about what the actual worst thing that could happen would be, and act from there.
- Laugh! Most importantly at yourself. It’s better that way.
- Typos are really not that big on a deal. Unless it’s your resume.
- Grammar on the other hand IS.
- DO NOT Google your health symptoms. You will only be told you have 2 hours to live. Instead, call your doctor.
- If you don’t feel like doing your makeup, hair or dressing up- don’t. You don’t owe anyone anything regarding your appearance. Messy buns are amazing anyway.
- Coconut oil can probably fix it.
- F it and buy it. You live once.
- Never stop reaching for your dreams.
- Smirnoff Ice is never a good choice.